The director of global macro at financial services giant Fidelity, Jurrien Timmer, believes that bitcoin can be considered as 'exponential gold'. He argues that while gold is often seen as a store of value, it is too deflationary and cumbersome to be used as a medium of exchange. This is one of the reasons why bitcoin is often compared to gold.
Fidelity's Director Considers Bitcoin as 'Exponential Gold'
In a series of social media posts, Jurrien Timmer shared his outlook on bitcoin. He stated that he sees bitcoin as a commodity currency that aims to be a hedge against monetary debasement and a store of value. He referred to it as 'exponential gold'.
"In my view, bitcoin is a commodity currency that aspires to be a store of value and a hedge against monetary debasement. I think of it as exponential gold."
Timmer also highlighted that historically, gold has performed well during periods of high inflation, negative real rates, and excessive money supply growth. Notable examples include the 1970s and 2000s.
However, Timmer pointed out that while gold is considered as money, its deflationary nature and lack of usability as a medium of exchange make it primarily a store of value. This is where bitcoin comes into play as it shares similarities with gold.
"It's too deflationary and clunky to be used as a medium of exchange. Hence, investors own it primarily as a store of value – and one of the many reasons bitcoin is often compared to gold."
Furthermore, Timmer discussed the correlation between bitcoin and other assets. He stated that based on September's data, bitcoin still shows a positive correlation with equities, although less so compared to other assets. He suggested that bitcoin should be included in the alternative investments bucket of a 60/40 portfolio. He also noted that bitcoin is negatively correlated with the U.S. dollar and T-bills, yet surprisingly uncorrelated with gold.
What are your thoughts on Fidelity's director of global macro's views on bitcoin and gold? Share your opinions in the comments section below.
- Yahoo Finance provides information about Barrick Gold Corporation's (GOLD) stock price, news, quote, and history.
Tips for Investing with Gold
One of the most sought-after investment strategies is investing in gold. This is because there are many benefits if you choose to invest in gold. There are many ways to invest gold. There are many ways to invest in gold. Some prefer buying physical gold coins while others prefer gold ETFs (Exchange Traded Funds).
Before buying any type gold, it is important to think about these things.
- First, find out if your country allows gold ownership. If you have permission to possess gold in your country, you can then proceed. If not, you may want to consider purchasing gold from overseas.
- Second, it is important to know which type of gold coin you are looking for. You have the option of choosing yellow, white, or rose gold.
- You should also consider the price of gold. Start small and move up. It is important to diversify your portfolio whenever you purchase gold. Diversifying your portfolio should be a priority, including stocks, bonds and real estate.
- Last but not least, remember that gold prices fluctuate frequently. Be aware of the current trends.
By: Kevin Helms
Title: Financial Giant Fidelity’s Director Sees Bitcoin as ‘Exponential Gold’
Sourced From: news.bitcoin.com/financial-giant-fidelitys-director-sees-bitcoin-as-exponential-gold/
Published Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2023 04:30:17 +0000